The Narval CC is a new generation of mandibular repositioning device (MRD) designed specifically for the treatment of adult obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). The patented Optimized Retention of the Mandible (ORM) articulation maintains the mandible in an advanced position leading to effective treatment and high compliance.
Most MRDs hold the lower jaw in a forward position. With Narval CC, the force of retention works along the occlusal plane to retain the mandible in a protruded position rather than pushing it, thus relieving stress on the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). The elevated articulation point allows the connectors to be parallel with the patient’s jawline, which complements the physical articulation, making the device more comfortable for patients.
Advantages of Narval CC
- Computer-aided design (CAD) enables high degree of customization to suit the complex dental anatomy of each individual patient
- Computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) using selective laser sintering of a biocompatible polymer material guarantees consistent, industrial-strength manufacturing
- Use of polyamide for a slim, lightweight device that is highly resilient and durable
Features and Benefits
ResMed developed Narval to optimize patient compliance and treatment efficacy with the conviction that compliance is directly related to comfort. Narval CC was designed to minimize the problems of patient discomfort by decreasing bulk, eliminating invasion of tongue space and enabling freedom of mandibular movement.
- 80% of patients wear the Narval device seven nights a week by six weeks into the treatment1
- Treatment compliance was high after 18 months with the
- Narval CC being worn on average 6.2 nights per week2
- Narval device does not load incisors, this limits risk of incisor tilting and improves patient comfort
- Patients with moderate OSA exhibited an average decrease in apnea hypopnea index (AHI) of 57%2
- Significant AHI reduction even in severe OSA patients3
- Rapid improvement on parameters of sleepiness and quality of life1
Discrete, Comfortable and Effective
- Narval’s proprietary design combined with CAD/CAM technology offers one of the lightest solutions on the market
- Minimal bulk in the mouth ensures patient comfort and compliance
- Absence of contact with incisors reduces dental sensitivity post-wear
- Lateral flexibility eliminates “locked-in” sensation and offers freedom to talk and drink
- Patented Optimized Retention of the Mandible (ORM) articulation promotes mouth closing and physiological breathing during sleep3
Additional Narval CC Resources
The Narval CC Fact Sheet explains the features and benefits of the Narval CC mandibular repositioning device.
The Narval CC Dental Practitioner Guide explains what sleep apnea is, how to diagnose it and available treatment options.
Download a Narval CC Prescription to use with your next case!
1. Vecchierini MF et al. Efficacy and compliance of mandibular repositioning device in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome under a patient-driven protocol of care. Sleep Med 2008;9(7):762-769
2. Dookun, R. 18 month assessment of 54 patients referred for treatment of anti-social snoring [AHI =30/hr] with a custom Mandibular Repositioning Device (MRD). Paper presented at the World Association of Sleep Medicine and Canadian Sleep Society Congress 2011
3. Geraads et al. First intention management of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) by custom-made mandibular advancement device: the medium-term results. Prospective study by the General Hospital Pneumologists College (CPHG). Rev Pneumol Clin 2010;66(5);284-292